HomeVisitorsVisa Service

Visa Service

Visa in Shanghai 

According to the Administrative Law of the People' s Republic of China on Entry and Exit of Foreigners, foreigners entering China should apply for a visa to the Chinese diplomatic representative or consular offices, or other institutions authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of People' s Republic of China.Please ensure that all your colleagues and accompanies have already obtained the relevant visa prior to departure. We assist our registered visitors in applying visa by issuing our company invitation letter, and visitors may apply via mail. 

It is not guaranteed that the invitation letter issued by our company can assist your application of visa successfully, kindly check with the Chinese embassies or consulates-general in your home country for detailed instructions.

Passports must be valid for at least SIX MONTHS beyond the intended date of entry into China.

◆What kind of visa shall I apply?

Chinese visas fall into four types: diplomatic visa, courtesy visa, service visa and ordinary visa. Ordinary visas are further divided into the following categories:

Type Scope of Application

Issued to those who intend to go to China for exchanges, visits, study tours and other activities.

J1 Issued to resident foreign journalists of foreign news organizations stationed in China. The intended duration of stay in China exceeds 180 days.

Issued to foreign journalists who intend to go to China for short-term news coverage. The intended duration of stay in China is no more than 180 days.


Issued to those who intend to go to China for commercial and trade activities.


Issued to those who intend to work in China.


◆Can a visa be extended?

The validity period of a visa refers to the time limit for the bearer to enter China, and it is irrelevant to the duration period of stay in China. The duration of stay refers to the period allowed for the bearer to stay in China starting on the date of entry. If the visitor fails to complete his/her work at the duration period of stay, he/she should go to the Entry and Exit Administration of the Shanghai Public Security Bureau to extend the visa. 30 days of extension could be granted to a "F" visa if the application is submitted by the bearers host organization while 90 days could be granted if the application is submitted by the supervising commission, office or bureau of the host organization and the visa could be renewed repeatedly within one year. "L" visa can be renewed only once for 30 days.

◆Can foreigners apply visa on arrival?

Here are Rules Governing the Implementation of the Law of the PRC on the Entry and Exit of Aliens (Extracts).

Article 1
For entry to China, aliens shall apply for visas to Chinese diplomatic missions, consular posts or other foreign-base agencies authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China.
Aliens holding letters or telegrams from authorized organizations in China and ordinary passports issued by countries that have diplomatic relations or official trade contacts with China may apply for visas to port visa agencies authorized by the Ministry of Public Security in cases of an urgent need to travel to China and a lack of time to apply for visas to the above-mentioned Chinese agencies abroad, for the following reasons:

  1. Being invited at short notice by the Chinese side to attend a trade fair in China;
  2. Being invited to China to enter a bid or to formally sign an economic or trade contract;
  3. Coming to China under contract for supervision over export shipment, import commodity inspection or checked on the completion of a contract;
  4. Being invited to install equipment or make rush repairs;
  5. Coming to China at the request of the Chinese side for settling claims;
  6. Being invited to China for scientific or technological consulting services;
  7. A last-minute replacement or addition, approved by the Chinese side, to a delegation or group that has been invited and has already obtained visas for traveling to China;
  8. For visiting a patient in a critical condition or making funeral arrangements;
  9. As persons in immediate transit who, because of force majeure, are unable to leave China by original aircraft within 24 hours or have to leave China by other means of transport;
  10. As other invitees who really do not have enough time to apply for visas to the above-mentioned Chinese agencies abroad but hold letters or telegrams from designated competent authorities approving the application for visas at port visa agencies.

*Port visa agencies shall not handle visa applications of aliens who do not come under the above-listed categories.

Article 2
Port visa agencies authorized by the Ministry of Public Security are set up at the following ports:Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, Dalian, Fuzhou, Xiamen, Xi'an, Guilin, Hangzhou, Kunming, Guangzhou (Baiyun Airport), Shenzhen (Luohu, Shekou) and Zhuhai (Gongbei).
US citizens are advised to apply their visas before leaving for China. Only those who are in the situation as being said in Reason (9) are exceptions.

◆144-hour Visa-free Policy

Starting from Jan. 30, 2016, the measure of 144-hour Transit Visa Exemption for Foreign Nationals for citizens from 53 countries destined for a third country with booked a through air ticket goes into force at the ports of entry of the airports in Shanghai and Beijing. During the visa exemption period, the passenger is allowed to move around within the administration precincts of Beijing and Shanghai municipality.
Starting from Dec. 1, 2013, six more countries in Central and East Europe, including the Republic of Serbia, Republic of Croatia, Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Republic of Montenegro, Republic of Macedonia and Republic of Albania, are added into the "72-hour visa free" countries list.

◆The 53 visa-free countries are:

Albania, Argentina, Austria, Australia, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Macedonia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States of America.

◆What do I need to show to the immigration officer?

  1. Your own valid international travel document (valid for no less than 3 months
  2. Your air / vessel / train ticket to a third country (region) with confirmed date and seat within 144 hours upon arrival
  3. Arrival / departurecards(for temporary entry foreigners) filled out in detail.


  1. According to the 144-Hour Visa-Exemption Transit Policy, the destination of those international passengers applying for Temporary Entry Permit should be a third country (region).
  2. During the stopover, passengers may  travel in the administrative precincts of Shanghai Municipality, Jiangsu Province and Zhejiang Province, but they are not allowed to travel beyond these areas.
  3. After confirming the qualification for 144-hour visa-exemption transit, the immigration inspection station will issue the foreign passenger a temporary entry permit. Then from 00:00 of the next day upon his / her arrival in China, he / she can stay in the administrative precincts of Shanghai Municipality, Jiangsu Province and Zhejiang Province without a Chinese visa for 144 hours. 
  4. Passengers applying for the 144-Hour Temporary Entry Permit are supposed to make hotel reservations beforehand and provide the specific booking information.If the accommodation is at a private residence, the detailed address and means of contact must be provided.
  5. A foreign passenger who enters China under the policy should exit China within the approved duration of stay. If, due to force majeure or some other reasons, such a passenger needs to stay longer than 144 hours in the above three administrative precincts, or travel beyond the restricted administrative precincts, he should apply for relevant stay permit to the corresponding provincial or municipal exit and entry administrative bureaus. 
  6. If the immigration inspection station, when conducting departure procedures, discovers that the passenger has stayed beyond the approved duration of stay, he / she shall be subject to punitive measuresaccording to relevant regulations stipulated in the Exit and Entry Administration Law of P.R.C. and that'll have a negative effect on your next application.

◆For detailed answers to Frequently Asked Questions concerning 144-hour visa-exemption transit policy, please call the hotline of the General Station of Shanghai Immigration Inspection 0086-21-51105100.